SEARCH FIRM & Recruiters
Engaged Search For Sales, Emerging Leaders, and Executive Talent for Building Product Manufacturers and Distributors Across the US.
Most of us like to believe we are unselfish and altruistic. But, on some level, we all evaluate decisions by thinking “what’s in it for me?” Thinking about ourselves and our needs is not a news flash and is nothing to be ashamed of.
What's In It For Me (WII-FM for short) is a survival tactic and can help us to achieve our goals.
WII-FM is a key part of my job as a building products recruiter and I want to share how you can use it in your hiring and recruiting efforts. You'll be more successful if you always focus on what you hope to gain and what your candidates are looking for.
How WII-FM Is Part Of Successful Recruiting & Hiring
WII-FM is a fantastically successful hiring and recruiting tactic for several reasons.
- You will be crystal clear on what you need in your next hire. Clarity makes hiring easier because you don't get led astray by so-so candidates who “could” or “might” work.
- Hiring will become much more than just filling a need. You'll start planning for the future and for retention.
- You'll focus all of your recruiting efforts towards attracting amazing candidates. And, what's even better – you'll have all the tools you need to actually attract top performers because you will be speaking their language.
- You'll save time and money because you will be zeroed in on exactly what you want, exactly what they need to have to be successful and exactly what you can use to entice them.
Your Company First
So how do you go about implementing WII-FM in hiring and recruiting? It's pretty easy! Start by thinking about your needs and desires. Be as selfish as you want to. Remember you want to make sure you get exactly what you want out of your next hire, so now isn't the time to be modest.
First answer all of these questions honestly and bluntly:
- Why was this position created or why is it open?
- How does/will this position benefit the company?
- What compensation can we afford?
- Are there benchmarks we need to use to measure success?
- What results do we need to see to know we’ve hired the right person?
- Would a different position be a better fit for the company’s needs?
- What does success in this role actually look like?
When you take a hard look at these questions and answer truthfully, you should have a pretty good picture of what the role is, how it benefits your company and what a successful candidate will be able to do in it.
WII-FM – Candidate Perspective
Next, ask yourself the following questions from a candidate’s point of view:
- Why is this an attractive role?
- What challenges need to be overcome in this role?
- What’s the company culture and work environment like?
- Why would someone be excited to work for us?
- Are there negative perceptions about our company or environment?
- What salary, benefits, and compensation package do we offer?
- Is that attractive to candidates?
- In the long run, how does accepting this position benefit the candidates?
Putting It Together
After you have taken a ruthless look at exactly what you want and need and exactly what benefits a candidate would get from accepting your role, you should have a very good start on your hiring plan.
You should have figured out if the position is OK or if you need to refine any part of it. You'll have an outline for measuring success and you'll know exactly what your full compensation/benefits package looks like. You'll have identified key points of interest for candidates and identified any problem areas with your company, environment and the role. You can use the things that you have discovered in your job description and job ads so they are far more enticing.
As a recruiter, HR director or hiring manager, the greatest asset you could have is being able to work with truly qualified candidates to create a situation where everyone’s happy with the answer to “what’s in it for me?”
The Leading Building Products SEARCH FIRM & Recruiters Engaged Search For Sales, Emerging Leaders, and Executive Talent for Building Product Manufacturers and Distributors Across the US. How to Write A Building Products Branch Manager Job Description Writing a...read more
The Leading Building Products SEARCH FIRM & Recruiters Engaged Search For Sales, Emerging Leaders, and Executive Talent for Building Product Manufacturers and Distributors Across the US. How to Stop Hiring People Who Disappoint You. Hiring the right person for the...read more
The Building Gurus Difference
You’re probably wondering how we can deliver candidates that your in-house or current recruiting partner hasn’t been able to. Hiring great talent is a key part of your business, but it’s the reason we’re in business. We invest in tools, technology, and resources to ensure we’ve always got the best “inventory” of talent at our fingertips. Building world-class best practices and an employer brand that gets and keeps the attention of A-players is key to our success. When you hire us, you immediately benefit from the years we’ve spent building our brand and relationships with sales, managers, and leaders in the building products industry.
Here are just a few strategies we use to ensure we can deliver best-in-class building products sales, manager, and executive level talent fast:
Rikka’s articles appear in trade magazines like LBM Journal, ProSales, Remodeling, and more.
NATIONAL NEWS + MEDIA
Rikka’s advice has been featured on Fast Company, NFIB, AmEx Open Forum, CBS Small Business Pulse, Huffington Post, and more.
ASSOCIATIONS + CONFERENCES
Rikka is selected to speak at local, regional, and national conferences like KBIS and ProDealer Summit.
We share helpful articles, videos, and audios about how to hire, how to get hired, and how to get better results to over 100,000 building product professionals every month.
VALUE FIRST APPROACH
We reach out to targeted building products leaders every single day to introduce our company and see how we can help their career. This value first approach means when we reach out about your opportunity they are much more likely to respond positively.
LONGEVITY + INTEGRITY
We’ve been building relationships with building products professionals since 2001. We believe being real and communicating frequently is the key to powerful partnership. Our clients agree, which is why we have an over 96% client retention rate.
Learn How Building Gurus Can Help Solve Your Hiring Challenges
Stop letting scarcity make you settle. Less than 1% of 1% of the professionals and executives on LinkedIn have the building products experience you need – learn how we go beyond posting and praying and LinkedIn to find and connect with best-in-class building products sales reps, managers, emerging leaders and executives.
Be confident and in control. Learn how our 4-stage Recruiting Blueprint search process can help you feel confident that we will find, engage, and qualify the talent you need. You'll feel in control and in the know with our frequent communication and updates. Best of all, you'll be interviewing qualified candidates in just weeks.
Not quite ready for a Discovery Session?
Call Us: +1 701-361-4239
Email Us: Info@BuildingGurus.com
+1 (701) 361-4239