SEARCH FIRM & Recruiters
Engaged Search For Sales, Emerging Leaders, and Executive Talent for Building Product Manufacturers and Distributors Across the US.
Hiring a recruiting firm is not a decision to be taken lightly. Choosing the right headhunter to work with is like choosing the right mate – everything in life gets easier when it is a true match.
Let's set a few things straight before we delve in.
First Things First
- The average cost to hire a recruiter is 25% of expected compensation, so they aren't cheap.
- Recruiters do not issue refunds. Most offer a 90-day replacement guarantee – but past 90 days you'll be starting over.
- Some recruiters are less than ethical or just plain jerks. I pride myself on not being either! Reputable recruiters answer their phones, don't poach candidates from you and won't lie or fabricate to entice candidates. Above all else, they are honest – even when the search is going poorly or prospects are scarce. They'll tell you not to hire one of their candidates if it isn't a fit.
- The right recruiter makes hiring easier. You'll spend more time actually talking to the candidates who can change your business, not finding or engaging with them.
- A great recruiter has more passive candidates in their pocket than you can ever hope to find.
Great, we are all on the same page! Here are a few ways to find your next great hiring partner.
Visit Their Website
You want to get a feel for their communication style, background, expertise and past success. Hopefully, you will make a long-term connection, so if it doesn't feel right keep looking.
A quick note on client reviews – Most recruiting firms do not list their client names in testimonials. Why? Well, some less scrupulous recruiting trainers direct employees to scour reviews looking for names and companies. They then can try to poach business because they have proof the client will pay for recruiting services. Also, hiring is by nature a confidential practice. Candidates and clients don't always want it known they are looking. So if you don't see names, don't worry!
Visit Their LinkedIn Page and Profile
No recruiter worth their fees is missing out on LinkedIn.
You can see how they present themselves online as well as if they are active on LinkedIn and how many connections they have. New recruiters or headhunters with less than 500 connections are probably not going to have the horsepower you need in your search. You can also see testimonials and get a better feel for the firm on LinkedIn.
I wouldn't take any companies' website as the alpha and omega on if they will be a good fit. It doesn't take much imagination to build a slick looking website. So do a little offline research.
Check within your network – where did their last hire come from? Have they had success with a recruiter? What is the best part of what their recruiter does for them? What sticky situations (relocation, background check surprises, candidates who don't take no for an answer) has their headhunter helped them out of? If you don't ask, you probably won't find out.
Also, ask your last few great hires where they found out about your company. Did they have any recruiters contact them? Is there anyone they have worked with in the past? Ideally, a smart recruiter is going for long-term connections with both clients and candidates.
Getting To Know You
After looking at LinkedIn and their website and talking with your connections, you should have a short list of potential firms. Make contact and ask for a short phone call or discovery session. Here are some things to consider discussing.
- What types of positions do they usually fill?
- What industry, niche, and channel are they in?
- Have they ever filled a position like yours?
- What were the challenges and successes?
- Have them detail their process for finding and connecting with candidates.
- What tools and technology do they employ?
- What services do they offer & what is the fee structure?
- Have them describe their documentation or agreement?
- What type of replacement guarantee do they offer?
- How do they communicate with clients?
- How long will they work the search?
The hiring process can be very stressful. But an experienced building products recruiter can help you to find the best employees. The right recruiter will take your business to the next level and make hiring a breeze. Find a partner, not just someone who can do the job.
The Building Gurus Difference
You’re probably wondering how we can deliver candidates that your in-house or current recruiting partner hasn’t been able to. Hiring great talent is a key part of your business, but it’s the reason we’re in business. We invest in tools, technology, and resources to ensure we’ve always got the best “inventory” of talent at our fingertips. Building world-class best practices and an employer brand that gets and keeps the attention of A-players is key to our success. When you hire us, you immediately benefit from the years we’ve spent building our brand and relationships with sales, managers, and leaders in the building products industry.
Here are just a few strategies we use to ensure we can deliver best-in-class building products sales, manager, and executive level talent fast:
Rikka’s articles appear in trade magazines like LBM Journal, ProSales, Remodeling, and more.
NATIONAL NEWS + MEDIA
Rikka’s advice has been featured on Fast Company, NFIB, AmEx Open Forum, CBS Small Business Pulse, Huffington Post, and more.
ASSOCIATIONS + CONFERENCES
Rikka is selected to speak at local, regional, and national conferences like KBIS and ProDealer Summit.
We share helpful articles, videos, and audios about how to hire, how to get hired, and how to get better results to over 100,000 building product professionals every month.
VALUE FIRST APPROACH
We reach out to targeted building products leaders every single day to introduce our company and see how we can help their career. This value first approach means when we reach out about your opportunity they are much more likely to respond positively.
LONGEVITY + INTEGRITY
We’ve been building relationships with building products professionals since 2001. We believe being real and communicating frequently is the key to powerful partnership. Our clients agree, which is why we have an over 96% client retention rate.
+1 (701) 361-4239