Click a question to view the answer
Our placements include:
Regional Managers (VP level positions)
Sales, Marketing, and Business Development
Vice President of Sales
Vice President of Marketing
Director of Business Development
Director of Sales
Regional Sales Manager / Director
National Accounts Sales Manager
Channel Sales Manager
Sales Reps / Account Managers
Technical Sales Representatives
Product Specialist / Manager
Typically, the entire placement fee is 25% of the expected first year’s compensation. The engagement fee is required to start the search ranges from $7500 to ¼ of the anticipated fee.
$175,000 position ($140,000 base with $35,000 in incentive compensation likely to be earned)
● Anticipated total fee of $43,750
● Engagement fee would range from $7500 to $10,937.50
It would likely break down to:
Engagement Fee: $7500 (Flat engagement fee, unless search is unusually challenging)
Placement Fee: $36,250 ($43,750 – $7500 = $36,250)
Total Cost: $43,750.00 (25% of the expected compensation)
So, a $160,000 package would have a $40,000 total cost, and a $200,000 package would have a $50,000 total cost.
We strongly encourage you NOT to start a search with us until you are ready to GO!
Our style and approach is built for a 60 day sprint, not 6 month marathon.
An ideal quick search has several distinguishing characteristics:
● Sense of urgency from the client
● Competitive compensation structure
● Realistic expectations
● Prompt and helpful communication from the decision makers
● A swift interviewing and selection process, without unnecessary delays
● Overall desire to locate and hire the best possible candidate
● Working as a team with the recruiter
Searches that meet this criteria can be interviewing candidates 3 weeks from the start of the search and onboarding their new hire in 6 weeks.
There are also many factors that can prolong searches:
● Poor communication or lack of feedback from busy decision makers
● Compensation structure isn't competitive in the current market
● Reputation issues that the company or manager may have in the market
● Job description that gets changed mid-stream
● Lack of urgency to schedule interviews or fill the position
Since we are heavily pay-for-performance, we make every effort to ensure a good fit and that we have a solid shot at closing the search before collecting and engagement fee and starting the sourcing process.
We invest in tools, training, and building our brand so we can quickly connect you with the best talent in the industry. We prefer to partner with companies that appreciate our expertise and investments and are willing to put some skin in the game.
- If we get the sense the fee makes your heart pound and it’s more of an investment than you can/should make right now. (hint, we get this vibe when you ask for a discounted engagement fee or extended guarantee period)
- If your role is not for $100K base + for a role with full P&L or sales leadership.
- We don’t think we’ll be able to close it
- Your compensation/expectations aren’t in alignment
- Dissention among decision makers about what the ideal hire looks like for the role + key aspects of the role
- You’ve been burned in the past and you’re exceptionally gun-shy about hiring or working with a recruiter again.
- It’s outside of our area of expertise.
- We don’t feel like what you want in a recruiting partner is a good fit for what we look for in our clients. (We want to be your trusted partner, not someone who sends resumes over to see what sticks)
Why we don’t work on searches under $100K
We believe in educating and empowering you and your team to develop the in house resources you need to consistently find and hire the under $100K talent you need – without a fee. We provide free resources and paid consulting and advisory services to help you develop the in-house resources you need to consistently and confidently fill your mid-level positions. But, when a position is important enough to pay over $100K, we believe it’s important enough to ensure you’re seeing the best in the market. Not just the ones that apply to a job posting or reply to an InMail.
But, Building Gurus isn’t your typical building products recruiting firm. We weren’t founded by an “old white guy” who decided to turn his rolodex into a recruiting firm.